Zesty Mexican Soup
Prep and Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 medium onion, minced
- medium cloves garlic (to personal taste), chopped
- 2 TBS red chili powder
- 3 cups + 1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 small to medium green bell pepper, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped collard greens
- 1 15 oz can (BPA free) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups or 1 15 oz can (BPA free) black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn
- 1 4 oz can (BPA free) diced green chili
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a medium soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion, garlic, and green peppers in broth over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add red chili powder and mix in well. Add broth and tomatoes. Cook for another 5 minutes and add beans, corn, green chili, oregano, and cumin.
- Bring to a boil on high heat. Once it begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes longer. (Simmering uncovered enhances the flavor.)
- Add zucchini and collard greens and cook for 5 more minutes. Add chopped cilantro, pumpkin seeds, salt, and pepper.