Fettuccini with Spinach Pesto
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 lb whole wheat fettuccini
- 1 10oz package of frozen spinach, (make sure frozen spinach is chopped, otherwise it gets stringy).
- medium cloves garlic, coarsely chopped (garlic to taste preference)
- 2 TBS coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- *optional 2 oz Chevre’ goat cheese
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large tomato, seeds and excess pulp removed, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring lightly salted water to a rapid boil. Cook fettuccini according to directions on package.
- While fettuccini is cooking, rinse frozen spinach in warm water to thaw and press dry. Put into food processor along with garlic, walnuts and basil. Run food processor a couple of minutes before adding liquids. Add cheese, lemon juice, water, olive oil and salt and pepper. Process just enough to blend all ingredients well.
- Prepare tomato by cutting in half, squeezing the seeds out, removing excess pulp in the center, and dice.
- As soon as you drain pasta mix in desired amount of pesto add chopped tomato while it is still very hot. Serve immediately.