Black Bean Burrito, Indian Style
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped (garlic to taste)
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1-1/2 cups sweet potatoes cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup green peppers, thinly julienned
- 1 cup red peppers, thinly julienned
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 TBS + 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups or 1 15 oz can black beans (BPA free), drained
- 2 oz Chevre goat cheese (optional)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (organic if possible)
- Prepared salsa (optional)
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, shredded (remove outer leaves and discard)
- Chop onions and garlic and let sit for 5-10 minutes to bring out their health-promoting properties.
- Prepare other vegetables.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a 12 inch stainless steel skillet. Healthy Sauté onion, garlic, ginger, and peppers in broth over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garam masala and sweet potatoes and mix well. Add 1/2 cup broth and cook covered on low heat for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add beans making sure they are rinsed and drained well first. Mix, cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- While vegetables are cooking, shred lettuce.
- 7. Place vegetable mixture in tortilla and top with goat cheese. Roll and top with salsa and shredded lettuce.