5 Spice Onion Soup
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 TBS + 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 inch fresh peeled ginger, sliced
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick, about 4 inches long
- 3 star anise
- 1/2 tsp dried fennel seeds
- 6 whole dried medium shiitake mushrooms
- 1 TBS soy sauce
- 1 TBS blackstrap molasses
- 2 onions, cut in half and sliced thin
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Chop 1 onion. Thinly slice two onions and garlic, which will later be added.
- To prepare onion broth, heat 1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth in medium soup pot. Healthy Sauté chopped onion over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add 6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth and remaining onion broth ingredients and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer ingredients briskly together for 20 minutes, uncovered. This will bring out a lot of flavor from the ingredients.
- In a separate medium sized stainless steel skillet, heat 1 TBS of the onion broth over medium heat. Healthy Sauté sliced onions over medium low heat in broth, stirring often for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- After cooking broth for 20 minutes strain while it is still hot and return liquid to pan.
- Slice mushrooms (and discard rest of strained ingredients) and return to broth.
- Add sautéed onions and garlic and season with salt and white pepper to taste.